This week the students started a new unit on Rome. Monday I watched Mr. Thornhill teach a lesson. He started with a hook asking students what they knew about ancient Rome. Surprisingly, not very many had pre-existing knowledge. Mr. Thornhill tried a new way to increase engagement, allowing each group to roll a die after they answered a question. Whichever team had the most points at the end of class won candy. They students had a seating chart change last week so this was a good way to help them get to know each other a little better.
Tuesday I taught my first full lesson! For whatever reason I was under the impression that our five lessons had to be full class periods, so I taught for the full hour and a half. I went off of Mr. Thornhill's lesson and I was happy that the students paid attention the whole time. They were mellow because of the arrests on campus the day before, and I tried to be sensitive to that by taking things a little easier. At one point, I posed a question and the student who I've never seen participate answered! I was so proud of him.
Friday was fall break so I didn't go into school. Hopefully everyone will be well rested going into next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment