Sunday, October 31, 2021

Week Seven: Last Week of Placement

 These past seven weeks have flown by so quickly! It feels like I went into Sherman High School for the first time just last week. I must admit, I was sad to leave the classroom for the last time on Thursday. I had gotten to know so many of the students and became invested in their lives outside of school. When they found out it was my last day, I was pleasantly surprised to hear their groans that I wouldn't be back. It's hard to tell if high schoolers like you so I was was unsure of where I stood with them, but their reaction to my last day made me feel validated that they enjoyed my presence in their classroom.

Tuesday I taught my last lesson, a review over the fall of the Roman Empire and the rise of the Byzantines. They were all engaged, which was a win, and they seemed to enjoy the interactive aspects of the lesson. Before that, Mr. Thornhill divided the class into groups and had them answer questions on the boards around the classrooms. Mr. Thornhill told me he was taking a note from my book and after watching my lessons wanted to find ways to get the class more involved. I was very flattered.

Thursday was a little more relaxed. The class filled out their new vocabulary sheet for the next lesson and watched a video about the history of Halloween. I'm not sure how much they enjoyed the video, but I sure learned a lot! I told the class goodbye and they told me I will be a great teacher in the future, which made me smile. I wish them a wonderful rest of the semester and year!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week Seven: Last Week of Placement

 These past seven weeks have flown by so quickly! It feels like I went into Sherman High School for the first time just last week. I must ad...