This was an interesting week at Sherman High School. There was a substitute teacher on Tuesday, which I was not expecting. As the students walked in they immediately recognized the sub and a devious smile slowly crept across their faces. I led my third lesson at the beginning of class, or tried to at least. The students were chatty and were more focused on getting under the sub's skin than paying attention to my activity. After lunch the students were supposed to take a test on Canvas. I let some go out into the collaboration space in order to separate students from the sub as he was already started to raise his voice. Everything was fine until the last 20 minutes of class. Some students called the sub over to their table with the purpose of watching him get angry, and it worked. I didn't know what to do as I watched the sub scream at a young man about how he was stupid and will never get a job at this rate. Interestingly, the student didn't seem to mind and instead was taking sneaky Snapchats of the conversation to send back to his groupmates. I have never an adult yell at a teenager like that before and I hope I never do again.
Thursday Mr. Thornhill was back and things returned to normalcy. He introduced a project about Rome that will be due next week, and the students loved getting to choose their topic. They had Thursday and will have Monday to work on the project, and already I saw some great work. I'm excited to see the finished products next week.
No comments:
Post a Comment