Saturday, September 25, 2021

Week Two: Subs and Catch Up

 This week was an A Week, so I went to Sherman High on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Mr. Thornhill was out of town until Thursday, so the students had a sub the first two days. The subs let me be in charge of the class which was unexpected, but a welcomed surprise. This week the class started a new unit, so the students had a vocabulary sheet to work on Monday and a guided reading for Wednesday. This unit focuses on Classical Greece and the Roman Republic, which works out well for me as my history class at AC just went over those topics. I mostly helped students access things on Canvas and answered general questions about the assignments.

Because there was a relatively light work load, I was able to get to know more students on Monday and Wednesday. I learned who played football and basketball, who likes art, and who takes music lessons. Some students shared that they didn't care for history and others said it was their favorite subject. I am very fortunate to work with such polite and engaged class.

Mr. Thornhill was back on Friday and he led the class in a review over the work they had done earlier. Many of the students were chatty, which is to be expected on a Friday, and I observed classroom management in action. Mr. Thornhill decided to move some students around and said he was not going to argue with them when they talked back. Later while doing independent work, Mr. Thornhill pulled students individually into the hall. I didn't hear what they talked about, but the students came back into the classroom with a lighter energy.

Next week I will teach my first lesson! My plan is to go over their notes from Friday and then lead the class in a review game for their test on Thursday. I'm very appreciative to Mr. Thornhill for trusting me with his class so early, but I'm a little nervous to have full control. He will still be in the room to help keep me and the students on track, which will be a great way for me to start this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week Seven: Last Week of Placement

 These past seven weeks have flown by so quickly! It feels like I went into Sherman High School for the first time just last week. I must ad...