Saturday, September 18, 2021

First Week at Sherman High

 This week I began my placement in a 10th grade world history class at Sherman High School. The school operates on a block schedule, so this week I only went on Tuesday and Thursday. Honestly I was quite nervous on the first day, I didn't know what to expect and was anxious about getting there on time as I only have 20 minutes between my psychology class on campus and the beginning of the class period at the high school.

The class I'm observing has 35 students and only 28 chairs, so it's been interesting to see how Mr. Thornhill uses the space. The class took a test on Thursday so I got to watch a review game on Tuesday. The students were engaged in the lesson and got a little competitive towards the end. Who knew that jolly ranchers have such a hold on 15 year olds?

My placement is during the lunch period, so Mr. Thornhill gave me a tour of the new building on Thursday. It's a beautiful facility with lots of space, but the most impressive section is the CTE area. They have a mechanic shop, dog groomer, cooking class, engineering, florists, nursing, metal shop and more. I thought those only existed in movies!

I was able to get to know some of the students on this week and learned about some of their interests. Some are cheerleaders, some like to play on the Nintendo Switch, some like to play sports, others were making mums for Homecoming on Friday. I'm excited to learn more about them, they are an awesome group of students.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Week Seven: Last Week of Placement

 These past seven weeks have flown by so quickly! It feels like I went into Sherman High School for the first time just last week. I must ad...